- It is used to store string data of fix length.
- It can store up to maximum 255 characters.
- It stores character with right padding if data is less than its size.
Varchar / Varchar2:
- These data type are used to store variable length of string data.
- It can store up to 4000 characters.
- The main different between char & Varchar/Varchar 2 is that it does not provide padding.
- A date data type is used to store date & time.
- It store the date in the format “DD/MM/YY”
- The default time format is “12:00 AM”.
- DateTime is stored in 24-hours
- Valid date range is from 1-January, 4712 BC to 31-December 4712 AD
- A number data type is used to store numeric values.
- It can store negative as well as position values.
- It can also be used to store number in scientific notation.
- It allows precision level up to 38 digits.
- We can also specify value in floating point number.
- Long data type can be used to store large number of variable length string data.
- It can store up to “2 GB” data.
- It can also be use to store string array of binary data in ASCII format.
- This data type can be used to store binary data such as digitized picture or image.