- A Flowchart is a graphical representation of a process.
- It uses some predefined symbols to represent a process in simple and understandable manner.
- An oval or rounded rectangle is used to represent starting and completion of a process in a flowchart.
- Input and output operation can be represented using slant rectangle
- To input data from outer word and displaying some result to the user slant rectangle is used.
- Rectangle is use to represent some processing or calculation on data.
- Decision step can be represented with the help of a diamond shape.
- When certain action is to be taken based on some condition then conditional step is represented by diamond shape.
 Data flow:
- Flow of the data can be represented using arrow shape.
- It shows direction of the data towards different program module.
- Document or data reports generated after processing is represented using document or report shape.
- If the flowchart gets large and cannot be represented on a single page then circle shape can be used as a connector.
Advantages of flowchart:
- It shows overall process in a graphical format.
- It is easy to understand program logic.
- It shows flow of the data about the program.
- It helps to trace direction of process and program logic.
- It displays all possible state of the program in a specific condition.
Disadvantages of flowchart:
- Drawing a flowchart is time consuming process especially when program is large.
- If program logic gets changed it requires modifying the flowchart.
- Modification in a flowchart requires redrawing complete flowchart.
- If a process is more complex, the flowchart will also be complex.
- It is simple for less complex and small process but as soon as program gets large, flowchart becomes complex.